Saturday, September 3, 2011

Day 3 - Portobello Pot Pie + All Purpose Pie Crust

Here's the recipe from La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer:

Crust (this is half the original recipe)
1 c all purpose or pastry flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c vegan margarine
2 tbsp "milk"

Filling:
1 medium onion chopped
2 large portobello mushrooms, stems removed, cubed
4-6 button mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp olive oil
1 small potato, cubed
1 celery stalk, chopped
1 medium carrot, chopped
2 tbsp tamari
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried sage
3/4 c vegetable stock
2 tbsp flour

Directions:
To prepare the crust: In a food processor, blend the flour and salt together. Add the margarine and pulse until mixture resembles a coarse meal. Add "milk" and blend until well combined and a dough forms. Remove dough, roll into a ball, and wrap in plastic; chill for at least 1 hour before using. Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly oil a 10 inch pie plate or an 8x8 inch baking dish and set aside. In a large saucepan on medium heat, saute the onions and mushrooms in oil until onions are translucent. Add the potatoes, celery, carrots, tamari, thyme, sage, and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat. cover with a lid and simmer for 4-6 minutes or until potatoes can be poked easily with a fork. Stir in the flour and simmer until sauce begins to thicken. Transfer cooked vegetables to baking dish. Roll out the chilled dough and place evenly over top of vegetables. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Let sit 5 minutes before serving.

Okay Bff...here's what I did. For the crust (any crust) I usually do all mixing by hand. So I gave the food processor a shot...the first 2 steps went fine, but had to remove the dough for the last step because it kept getting stuck. 2 things...first, my food processor is not the best, and b.) I used whole wheat pastry flour (possibly extra dry???). So I had to knead the dough by hand, adding extra "milk". Things I used: Original Earth Balance for the margarine, Whole Wheat Pastry Flour, and Rice Milk. When it came out of the fridge about 3 hours later, it was hard as a rock. So I had to let it sit for a bit & then work it with my hands        before I could roll it out...even then it was tough.

The filling was easy & pretty self explanatory. I didn't do anything crazy with it except use vegetable broth instead of stock because it's what I had. It smelled so wonderful while it was cooking...just like Thanksgiving. God, I love sage!

Overall, the Porto Pot Pie was delish! Would be a perfect winter comfort food. I was less than impressed with the crust...but maybe I screwed it up with the whole wheat pastry flour. Hubby liked it also except for the crust. Thanks Sarah! It was fun!

P.S...Dear BFF, I am not going to post the list of ingredients & directions for each dish I make...it takes forever & wouldn't be fair to give away all of Sarah's yummy recipes. If you want to follow along buy the cookbook! If there is something in particular that interests you, contact me!
































1 comment:

  1. April, It's Raven at Vegan CUlinary Institute. Would you please email me at veganculinaryinstitute@gmail.com. Thank you

    ReplyDelete