Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Life is like a box of chocolates...or a jar of green tomatoes.

Hey BFF! Here's what I've been up to: CANNING. My mom and her friend used to can all the time when I was a kid & I loved the grape juice and strawberry preserves they made. I started canning last year when I had an abundance of tomatoes threatening to rot in front of my face. I canned a bunch & used them throughout the year in sauces, chilies, and lots of other recipes. It was awesome! I've also tried my hand at apple butter and pickles. But this year I had an abundance of green beans and green tomatoes! I also got some concord grapes through my CSA, so I made juice! So easy, albeit time consuming. Take a look:

                                                 Dilled Green Beans! I can't wait to try them!

                                                  Concord Grape Juice! Move over Welch's!

And here's what I did with all those grape tomatoes that never turned red. Spicy Pickled Green Tomatoes. I'm so excited to try them! Fresh dill, garlic, and jalapeno...yum!


4 comments:

  1. Oohh the little spicy tomatoes sound Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to make pumpkin butter for a party that I am having...I would like to give them away as little favors. But I read somewhere that it only lasts 2 weeks...but I am thinking maybe it wasn't actually canned and it was just put into a jar. Do you think I should can it? Or put in jars with an expiration date? Hmmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never good when things rot in front of your face. Way to turn lemons into vinegar soaked... you know what I mean. Way to go, Lemonade!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you should actually can it so that the "button" on the lid pops & seals it...that's what I did!
    And thank you Anonymous for the support and laugh!

    ReplyDelete