Friday, December 2, 2011

Happy Holidays

Dear BFF,

Around the Holidays, I find myself doing things that my mom did for me as a kid. Not big things, but little ones. Like this morning, I put milk in my oatmeal (almond milk of course). As a kid, my mom would put milk into our already cooked oatmeal & it was so much heavier and creamier than without...it was comfort food! And this morning I suppose that I needed a little extra comfort in my tummy.

I started to think of the other little Holiday or comfort things that I do automatically that remind me of my childhood. I use extra pie crust to make mini cinnamon rolls (roll out unused pie crust, 'butter' with earth balance, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar, roll up, cut into pieces and bake!). When the weather gets cold, I start breaking out the crock pot for some hearty soups and stews with really crusty bread. I sew pajamas for loved ones, bake yummy treats for neighbors, attend Christmas Eve candlelight service with my family, smile ear to ear as my nephew opens his gifts, and snuggle on the couch with my husband, dog and a glass of wine, basking in the glow of the tree. We always have amazing food...Christmas Eve we eat mushroom and spinach crepes at my mom's house. On Christmas Day we have "Holiday Lasagna" at my sister-in-law's house. These are my holiday traditions. Not one of them is compromised by my choice to eat a compassionate diet...why would they be?

The meals have changed a bit over the years, and this change has only enhanced our experience. We have new traditions that mean so much more than the old ones. We look forward to the crepes each Christmas because we only eat them once a year! And the "Holiday Lasagna" is something we laugh and bond over, seeing as how not one of us is even a little Italian (we are German, Irish, Polish, Scottish....). You do not lose anything by choosing a cruelty free Holiday...in fact you gain so much. Remember that not choosing a compassionate Holiday is still a choice. Doing things the way they've always been done is a CHOICE. Break the mold...save lives this Holiday season...make new traditions! I can guarantee years down the road, you will not remember the specific things you ate, but you will remember the time spent with loved-ones and the lives you saved with your compassionate choice.

Peace and love,
Your BFF

PS...here are some links to cruelty free charities this season...please say 'no' to Heifer International!
Farm Sanctuary
WE ANIMALS
The Best Christmas Gift Ever-PETA
Vegfam
Or check out PCRM's Humane Seal webiste for other cruelty-free charities! They will even tell you the charities that are NOT cruelty-free.
Please notice that the dog's stocking has the most presents:)




No comments:

Post a Comment